Can We Stop Crowning People Heroes In Death?

'Death is a necessary end that will come when it will come' - William Shakespeare.

People have this unusual penchant of celebrating people once they are dead. Not like there is anything wrong with that but why fan the flames of love in death while you never really showed people an iota of care through their lifetimes? Does it really make any sense?

Don't go making people heroes when they are dead while you never crowned them kings while they lived.

Shortly before my dad's death, he came visiting me in school with so many goodies, when I say so many goodies, I mean every word of it, they were much more than he ever brought before and what did I do next? I wrote him a letter showering all the accolades I could ever think of upon him but quite, unfortunately, the letter arrived the moment he was being taken to the mortuary. 

But till date, I feel like a proud daughter because I was that thoughtful even though he didn't get to read those sweet words I penned down solely for him. I mean, those words would have possibly added some more years to his lifespan if he had read them. Well... I grew up bearing the popular adage in mind that 'Man proposes and God disposes'.

Nowadays, how everyone becomes an angel once they are dead is really baffling. Most of the epistles people flood their social media timelines with, often reek of pretence. 

Everyone struggles to identify with someone once their eyes become permanently shut forever. Huh? Why do we do that? 

More confusing is the fact that a mutual friend who possibly exchanged waves with the deceased maybe just once would also tag along the 'sympathisers. That is when you read something like ' Awwww... the way you waved at me the first time we met was so sweet, I knew you were just an angel that very moment, death is so wicked'. Mtcheeewwww.... All of these are nothing but balderdash, in fact, they are 'bagdadash' (in my grandma's voice).

Why would someone be so happy being a harbinger of sad news? 

What will it cost you to shower people with all the love when they still have eyes to read them and ears to hear them and even emotions to feel them.

It's about time people stopped all these pretences or should I say formalities because in reality, THE DEAD DON'T CARE! The countless messages do not make any difference.

One very beautiful day, I stumbled upon what someone wrote on the wall of a deceased fellow. He was like.... 'MYGSRIP', I paused.

It took me some precious minutes of my life to figure out that the person actually meant to type 'May your gentle soul rest in peace'. Wait! what?

My head would have fallen off from the way I shook it rigorously out of sheer pity, not for the dead this time, but for the one who had decided to add salt to an already painful injury.

So someone that is dead will now be the one trying to figure out what the gibberish means right? 

Hello! Come off such silliness already. Save you are writing those for the gods though.


But on a very serious note, we need to correct that anomaly before it eats deeper into our humanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 20, 2020 - National Blood and Bullets Day

Video Of Couple Making Blood Covenant To Avoid Infidelity Goes Viral Across Social Media [WATCH]

Now That Big Brother Naija Is Over Can We Kiss And Make Up