Wearing Anklets Is Bad, Wearing A Ring On Your Thumb Means You Are A Divorcee.... Who Made These Rules?



Life ought to be quite interesting. But sometimes, people try to make a fuss out of a bunch of things and it makes life seem uninteresting.

People make rules on how one should dress, more like the way the society expects you to dress rather than allowing people to wear what they are comfortable in.

You wear long dresses and you get to be tagged 'too religious' and then you wear shorter ones and get called a 'slut' and all sorts of derogatory terms.

If you wear fashion accessories, the society would see you as one who is too vain and when you decide to ditch them they would see you as one whose fashion sense is suffering a serious kwashiorkor.

In all of these, I have learnt not to be drowned out by what people say or how they feel about what I do and what I don't.

My commisions and omissions should not be of concern to anyone save for those who would rather pay me some huge sums to lead a life that would align with what they expect of me.

Well, I have a ring that I wear on my thumb (the first digit of my finger and perhaps the shortest of them all), and one fateful evening after work, a colleague of mine was like '...hey Babe, this ring you always wear on this finger, have you not heard it is divorcees who wear ring on that finger?'

In my mind, I was like, 'such a perfect timing to launch my deepest abhorrence for all these expectations from people'.

No, I did not go beating myself up or feeling bad about his stance, after all, like air, opinion is one thing everyone has freely.

So guess my response? You might be disappointed though.

I told him, 'I'm surprised you don't know that I am a divorcee. But you were at the wedding'

The shock written all over his face was such a blissful sight to behold before he retorted, 'which wedding again.?'

By that time the ground was already well watered waiting for me to plant the seeds, I had on my palms long enough that they would have sprouted if my body contained some sand.

I went ahead to explain to him that I was married for so many years before I finally decided to call it quits.

"I divorced my spiritual husband, so when I got the ring from a friend, I decided the best spot to fix it was my thumb as a symbol to show the world that I am a divorcee."

It took him some split seconds to utter some more words, I guess the state of confusion I threw him into with my response was enough to give one a schizophrenia.

It's been weeks since we had the conversation and I still wear my ring(s) with so confidence that smells like some designers perfume.

Sometime ago, I got into an argument with some people on how wearing anklets is the only sin left in the world to commit.

Theirs is a school of thought which believes that women who wear anklets are ONLY married women who by wearing the anklets, are sending signals to men that even though they were married, they were still very much open to sex with men.

The nerves! How about my friends who are still single to stupor yet they wear anklets? There was no tangible explanation since the RULE already made anklets something only married people wear.

I promised to get myself at least one anklet because of the rule which must have been made by one very idle fiction writer whose only stress was to think it out and share to Google perhaps hoping to have his bait catch some gullible fellows.

Well, whoever propounded the rule did a good job at it because that is a widely believed thought so far, maybe until someone comes up with something a bit different.

The crux of this probably long tale is, stop making rules for people, do you! Be the best version of your BEing and stop letting your emotions get in the way with your sanity.

You can't live your life and that of another person. The best you can do is to think out solutions to pressing needs of your generation and not sit on some very painful spot and assume the role of a judge when in reality, you were even forced to go to school.

PS: I forgot the part where I already got myself a beautiful anklet, despite the fact that I am still very much single.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 20, 2020 - National Blood and Bullets Day

Video Of Couple Making Blood Covenant To Avoid Infidelity Goes Viral Across Social Media [WATCH]

Now That Big Brother Naija Is Over Can We Kiss And Make Up